The history of the festival
Fiesta® San Antonio and the City of San Antonio are closely interlinked. Scholars have said that the history of the festival reflects the history of the city. But there’s much more.
- City police are involved in Fiesta in many ways, including parades
- The 100 nonprofit organizations that put on Fiesta events are located throughout the city.
- The Fiesta® San Antonio Commission represents those nonprofits when coordinating Fiesta® arrangements with city departments.
- The city passes an ordinance every 10 years (most recently in 2008) that authorizes the Fiesta Commission to put on Fiesta each year.
- City departments like Downtown Operations, Parks and Recreation, the Solid Waste Management Department, and the San Antonio Police Department work with the Commission and its member organizations on a number of operational needs including street closures, security and post-Fiesta cleanup.
- Many Fiesta events, including the major parades, A Night in Old San Antonio, A Taste of New Orleans and the All-American Canteen, take place on city property.
- The city even has its own Fiesta event–Earth Day.